Tuesday, June 19, 2012

OUR AFRICAN SAFARI: "SHIBULA" Day 3 (Morning)

GREETINGS FROM SOUTH AFRICA!
MAXMOM here...


***Read about "DAY 1  HERE
***Read about "DAY 2 - (Morning)  HERE
***Read about "DAY 2 - (Evening)  HERE


SHIBULA GAME LODGE
DAY 3 (Morning)


After two days in the bush and three wonderful game drives, I decide to sleep in and skip the early-morning wake-up call.  The "Boss", however, can't keep away from the animals and joins the waiting group at the reception area.

"Enjoy yourself", I mumble sleepily.

I know the 'Boss' will be out for about 3 hours so I pull the duvet over my head and try to re-access dreamland. Rest assured, the ranger will ensure that his guests get the best of what is to offer.  I hope I don't miss too much, but I have a slight headache and want to get rid of it and enjoy the rest of the day. 

We had such a wonderful game drive last night - an incredible LION SIGHTING - and I am still relishing in the experience.  I close my eyes.  For a while, I dream about the "Munching" elephants we saw on our first game drive.  Here is a short video:

A while later, the sunbeams start filtering through the bedroom curtains.  Nothing sleeps late in the bush and I suppose that includes me. The baboons on the nearby cliff are easing their chattering.  Ironically, they are much quieter during the day.
I get up and put the kettle on and to run another long, luxurious foam bath. While I wait, I reach for my note book (from which the contents of these blogposts are shaped).  It's so easy to write in this setting. If only I could live here forever, I think. Just imagine my writing...


I notice again how tastefully our room is decorated.  I must share this with my readers, I think:



I reach for my cup of tea and slip out onto our small patio. Even here, there is so much to appreciate.

 (Above: One of the beautiful trees off the patio)
(Above: The edge of the thatched/grass roof.  Most of the lodges in the bush have thatched roofs)

 (Above: The clay pot in the courtyard)

As I look out into the bush a sweet face stares back at me.  My heart lurches.  It's a male kudu and his beautiful horns sparkle in the sunlight as he silently munches on the leaves of a bush.  


These creatures are pretty fast.  They're known to deliver painful kicks when chased by lions and can also jump over 3m high fences.  The kudu watches me suspiciously.  I sit down on the patio chair and watch him back.  Eventually he returns to foraging.

Last night on our game drive, our ranger pointed out a fascinating bush. I just have to share this story with you.  The bush looked pretty dead to me:

This bush, however, holds a really special miracle.  It is called:
"THE RESURRECTION BUSH"

"Don't be fooled," our ranger said. "If the game reserve suddenly has a rainstorm I guarantee you that within a couple of hours that bush and all its surrounding companions will turn green and transform the landscape."

"Impossible!" we say

"It's true," he smiles and gets out of the vehicle to pick us each a branch of the 'dead' shrub. "Here," he hands a small branch to each of us. "Take it back to the lodge and put it in water.  Within 12 hours you will see the change."

I take the small branch and stuff it into my bag.  When I get back to my room, I put it in the glass of water as the ranger suggested.  Now I look at the glass and my jaw drops.  He was right, I think - the whole branch has transformed overnight. What an incredible miracle!

(Above: The 'resurrection bush' in all its miraculous glory)

The "Boss" and his group get back from their game drive by 9am.  He tells me that they didn't see "much" - only Impala, wildebeest, warthog, birds, duiker (translated 'diver' - a small antelope) and some kudu. 
(Above: Female kudu - what a beautiful face and ears!)

Not much, I think?  Six species at least...that's lots!   But guests always want to see the big cats.  Unfortunately the 'kitties' are not around this morning and the elephants are hiding too  (But we have our video, don't we?).  I smile.  Sometimes that happens in the bush - nothing is guaranteed.  Thankfully I chose the right morning to sleep in. Instead we go and enjoy a scrumptious breakfast together.




Later on during the day, the "Boss" and I visit SHIBULA's BUSH SPA where we relax and enjoy a back and neck massage.  The attendants there are professional and discreet.  When we emerge , we feel rejuvenated and 'treated', and ready to enjoy the forthcoming evening game drive. 


 What will we see tonight?

(Be sure to read my next blogpost where we are extremely  lucky to see one of Africa's incredibly beautiful and elusive animals.  By the way, if you didn't see the lions from yesterday's blogpost, you have missed something REALLY special!  You can read the post HERE )

Sending lotsaluv
(Dear friends, be sure to follow the blog posts during this next week as I share our FULL adventure.  Many thanks to the management and staff at the beautiful SHIBULA LODGE for your incredible hospitality!)

7 comments:

My Dog Sam - Ruptured Disk said...

Hi Maxmom, this is cool. We wish we were there too.

rottrover said...

What a wonderful paradise you've discovered! Thank you so much for sahring it with us!

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

OH MYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY this is just LOVELY... the entire POST is lovely.

Molly the Airedale said...

That branch really is miraculous! What an adventure this is!

Love ya lots,
Mitch and Molly

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Hi Caryl! There are no words to say how much I am enjoying your photos and reading about your amazing (!!!!) trip! THANK YOU for sharing it with all of us and giving me a chance to escape for a few moments!

Tweedles -- that's me said...

I went back to see the lions again! And the elephants are also my favorites!
I am glad the monkey were a little more quiet so you could get a little nap. Maybe they were napping too.
That plant really was amazing! I could not believe it!
I love this trip to the "wild bush".
I feel like I am there with you.
love
tweedles

MySpecialDoggies said...

Hi Caryl
Thank you for sharing this magnificent adventure of yours! It's just awesome.

Woofs,
Nadine & goldens Neeli & Elle